Student Lab Manual
Nutrition and Food Science Lab Manual
Welcome to the Food Lab of Serangoon Garden Secondary School. You will embark on a wonderful journey, but before you begin, here are some important pointers you have to take note to ensure a safe and pleasant experience.
Before the start of the lesson, you have to:
- arrive in class punctually
- line up in twos outside the Food Lab
- wait for teacher’s instructions before entering the classroom
At the start of the lesson, always remember to;
- place your bags at the back of the lab, but do not block the door
- bring along your Textbook, Workbook and stationery
- sit at your allocated seating
- greet teacher
During Lesson, you are
- work purposefully and not misbehave
- not allowed to leave the classroom without permission
- obtain a pass from the teacher if you need to leave the classroom
- not allowed to take or use any materials form Food lab without teacher’s permission
- not allowed to use vulgarities at all times (School values: Respect)
At the end of each lesson, always ensure that
- all chairs are in an orderly manner
- litter have been cleared
- all materials used have been returned to its proper place
- thank teacher and leave the lab in an orderly manner
For all practical sessions, you are expected to obey the 5 laws:
- Rights to Hygiene
- Put on apron at all times, remove only when you leave the lab.
- Nails are to be kept short and clean. Hair must be tidy. Girls to tie long hair back.
- Rights to Listen
- Listen to teacher’s instructions at all times.
- Rights to Cleanliness
- Wash your hand before and after handling food.
- Do not sneeze or cough into food.
- Use separate chopping board when cutting raw and cooked food.
- Throw rubbish in the bin provided.
- Clear used towels into pails provided.
- Rights to a Clean Environment
- Use only what is required (ingredients/utensils). Do not remove excess ingredients from the lab.
- No eating is allowed unless for food tasting and sensory evaluation purposes.
- Rights to Safety
- No running in the lab at all times.
- Do not leave stove unattended during cooking.
- Switch of gas and electrical switches after each practical.
Report any accidents to the teacher, even if it is a minor one. If all of you play your part, everyone will have a wonderful & exciting time in the lab.