Department Vision: Language for Life and Learning
Department Mission: Cultivating Competent, Confident and Clear Communicators (5Cs)
In Singapore, English is the main language for business and education. English is also the language of harmony that enables better understanding of the rich cultures and ethnic groups in Singapore. The study of Literature provides a good grounding for students to become aware of the nuances of language and narratives, training young minds to appreciate layers of meaning in text and in life.
The English Language and Literature Department has the vision of ‘Language for Life and Learning’, which encompasses our hope that students leave SGSS with the necessary reading, viewing, speaking and writing skills. They should also bring along with them a zest for life and an ability to appreciate the beauty of the language. The Department Mission: Cultivating Competent, Confident and Clear Communicators (5Cs) firmly encapsulates what we do as teachers of English Language and Literature and our desired student outcomes.
In the EL and Literature classrooms, students can look forward to lessons crafted to develop students’ language competencies. Some highlights of EL and Literature lessons in SGS include:
- Use of Google Classroom and SLS as part of Blended Learning
- Use of Artificial Intelligence Assisted software in writing
- Collaborative learning and alternative assessment methods focusing on speech and drama, and creative writing
- Use of journals as a tool for emotion regulation and thematic reflection
- Development of media-related literacies such as script-writing and video content creation
To nurture students in EL and Literature beyond the classroom, students have opportunities to engage in special programmes which include:
- Participation in creative writing, literary debate, drama and choral reading competitions in the National Schools Literature Festival
- Cross-discipline projects involving song-writing and storybook illustration
- School-based competitions such as speech-making competitions
- Theatre trips
In SGS, we believe that language learning and literature should be fun, relevant and authentic. Students are always encouraged to excel beyond the classroom and to apply what they have learned in their daily lives.