SGS Art Unit aims to instil in our students the love for visual arts through the development of artistic skills of observation, creative expression and appreciation through the lower and upper secondary art curriculum.
Lower secondary students take on the role as ‘Art Explorers’ to have hands on experience using different dry and wet art mediums. Students are also guided to extent their ideas through creative techniques to create their art works. Specialized curriculum are designed for the various streams to cater to the needs of their learning such as task and project based assignments.
In addition, lower secondary students can also look forward to learning journeys at the Singapore Art Museum for experiential learning via “lived” artworks.
For the upper secondary curriculum, emphasis is placed in both skills and thought processes such as research, exploration, development, experimentation and evaluation in the creation of artworks. In-depth studio time enables students to explore and practice using more varied mediums ranging from charcoal to watercolour and print-making to create quality artworks.
Upper secondary art curriculum also enables students to be exposed to the studying of multiple international old art master artists, modern and contemporary artists via the application of Feldman’s approach in the study of visual art. With these artistic skills and knowledge, students are able to generate ideas more effectively and are well-prepared to for rigour of the National N & O Level Art examinations.
Various learning journeys to the art suppliers, art galleries, artist studios, art exhibitions and museums as well as art tertiary institutions (NAFA & Lasalle) are interjected during the 2 year course. Such opportunities enable art students to have a macro exposure and understanding of the art scene in Singapore.
- Yearly Art Exhibition at Ang Mo Kio Library for Graduating Students
For the past 3 years, SGS art unit has collaborated with Ang Mo Kio library to curate and put up a mini exhibition of past year graduating students’ artwork for a month. This year’s curation encircle around the theme of “Narratives in Motion – Stories by our students, artfully told”.
- Selected work for 2018 SYF “Artist and Citizenship”
- 2018 Yellowren Canvas Competition Honorable Mention
- 2018 Design For Good Youth Competition
- Judges’ Choice Award – Lance Capistrano
- 2017 Yellowren Canvas Competition Honorable Mention, Theme: Love the World
- 2017 Design For Good Youth Competition Finalists
- Selected work for 2016 SYF Art I st and Space
- Selected work for 2015 “Toys from the Future” Trexi Design Online Showcase
- Selected work for 2014 SYF “I” in Artist at Lasalle
- 2013 Extravaganza, INK! Honorable Mention Individual
- 2012 SYF Bronze Catergory B –
Tian Kai Man, “The Climb”, 2011, printmaking.
- 2012 National Day Souvenir Design Competition organised by Singapore Poly Design School.